Thank you so much for coming to my little bit of the blogosphere. I'm a married mom of 4 adults and Oma to one precious baby boy. I love taking old things and fixing them up or tearing them down to create something totally unique. Sit back, relax, grab a cup of your favorite drink and enjoy the ride we call life :)
I tore it apart, painted it and have finally started the rebuild!
Hubby is excited. (to finally get this thing moving)
Started with bare springs and wood.
This took probably 10 hours to this point. Tons of ripping and pulling staples. If you don't want to get blisters pulling thousands of staples, don't even attempt this. The ONLY thing that kept me going was the fact that I believe it will be beautiful in the end...oh and the fact that I'm a stubborn dutch girl! I'm not kidding...I'm stubborn!
I started out covering the springs with burlap. This protects the foam from getting worn through by the springs. It wouldn't happen right away, but after years of use it would become a mess.
Then cutting and shaping the foam, covering it with batting and material.
I used a complimentary (yet simple) material for this part. If you go look at your couch and lift up the cushions, more than likely you will see a plain material there. That's what this part is.
Then I took more batting and shoved it between the material and the wood. You won't see this, but it will protect the final material from rubbing against the wood and wearing a hole through that. Trust me you do not want to recover it all again in a material down the road that probably won't exist anymore.
So don't skimp on this...do it right the first time.
Then more burlap for the back springs. This part does not have to be perfect. It's there for protection only.
Then the foam for the back.
This is how far I've gotten today. I have to shape the foam now to fit the back, then more batting and material.
I'm actually really happy with how it's going so far. Crossing my fingers we don't hit a big bump tomorrow.