Wednesday 29 August 2012

Crazy people do crazy things

Some days you just have to shake your head and wonder "what were they thinking?"
I had one of those days this week. 
Check out this dresser. 

 Tongue and groove pine over a dresser. hmmmmm
 Rip away a piece to see what was under it. Gee that looks like solid wood with a great design under it.
More solid wood. Yippie!! Lets get to work! 

So I figured that whomever covered this baby up couldn't manage to get the paint off of it with the screwdriver they were using, gave up and covered it with pine. Simple fix to a solid piece. But ugly as sin. 
I removed all the pine (actually my husband did since he was having a blast ripping it off I let him go for it..lol)
It took a lot of work to get that paint off, I think it was some sort of magic paint that really didn't want to let go. Then a TON of sanding to get all those scratches out. Apparently screwdrivers leave deep gouges in wood. 
BUT it is solid maple (at least I think it is) 
So after all that work..a coat of stain and a couple coats of varnish....we have......

 A very rustic and nice looking vintage piece.
 I was originally planning on painting the body of this boy...but decided to keep it Au-natural.

 You can see where I filled in the holes from the handles the other people added. But I think those spots just add a bit of a story to it.
I obviously removed the back top thingy, as that was pine and this isn't. 
So what do you think? Worth saving? 
I love it! 

And I want to share a site with you that I think is totally awesome, if you have a chance, go check it out. 
They have featured me twice now and I feel very lucky to be recognized there. 
Apartment Therapy 

Sharing here:
The Shabby Creek Cottage 
36th Avenue 
1929 Charmer 
Domestically Speaking 

11 comments:

  1. Hi, Thanks so much for nominating me for an award!
    I LOVE that dresser! Hard to believe that someone would go to the trouble of covering it with pine. It is really gorgeous now, though, and I'm sure you're very glad you went to the trouble of stripping it all the way down.
    Hugs, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So very well deserved Cindy. Thanks for your kind words :)

      Delete
  2. It's just beautiful - and I love that you didn't paint it ( I should do that more often lol )
    Hugs,
    Suzan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's always a toss up for me. I've decided that if I can, I will bring back more, but some pieces just can't be saved :(

      Delete
  3. This looks beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's amazing!! It looks great NOW. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. The dresser looks amazing, must have been alot work, but it looks amazing. I once found an old antique dresser that had been covered up with plywood and then painted. The dresser had a gorgeous design and so much character. I don't know who covers up these dressers but I am glad we were able to find these great treasures. I am glad you didn't paint it, it looks great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tobey. I love a good save as well. :)

      Delete
  6. Gosh I can't believe someone would cover up that gorgeous wood? People like this shouldn't be able to buy real wood :-{. You ended up with a beautiful piece with a lot of character! Thanks for sharing your creative inspiration with Sunday’s Best – you helped make the party a success!

    ReplyDelete